Digital media leader applying interactive technology to engage targeted consumers
Director, Product Management/Online Production | Scripps Networks | Knoxville, TN
2008 – present
•Added digital product management for Affiliate Sales in March 2010, overseeing interactive TV and connected TV projects with cable, telco, satellite and consumer electronics companies plus convergent iPhone/iPad app strategy. Added R&D product management for all digital businesses in 2011.
•2008-2011: Director, Online Production — Managed interactive production teams in multiple locations for top-rated web sites in shelter and food categories (HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network and more) with $80MM+ annual revenue and 350MM+ monthly page views
• Managed direct reports, large virtual teams and vendors to create project plans and coordinate stakeholder, editorial, design, ad sales, analytics, e-commerce, marketing, SEO/SEM, IT, QA, and broadband video teams to build and launch products within set time and budget
• Use web, e-mail, blog, social media, mobile/iPhone app and other interactive platforms to reach targeted audiences
• Prioritize and oversee the build and launch of multiple digital products simultaneously to ensure resources are applied for desired business result
• Winner of 2009 Chairman’s Award for finding innovative ways to improve interactive product quality and preserve revenue at no incremental cost
Director, Online Project Management | Scripps Networks | Knoxville, TN
2005 – 2008
• Managed web and digital media product development for top-rated lifestyle cable TV networks
• Coordinated creative production, ad sales, marketing, editorial, IT, broadband video and business development teams
• Collaborated with sales teams and national ad clients to create unique co-branded experiences
• Proposed and evaluated new products embracing company business goals
• Informed online strategy and managed execution of portfolio of many large strategic initiatives
• Developed products including niche vertical content sites, color design tool, video players, mobile interactive applications, and improvements to many consumer-facing and back-end systems
Director, Site Services | Belo Interactive | Dallas, TX
2003 – 2005
• Managed editorial and technical development team producing 20+ award-winning local TV and newspaper web sites with 130MM pages views/month.
• Led adoption of two rounds of major site and content management redesigns to standardize content and sales offerings. Minimized expense growth and maximized audience growth to achieve multi-year profitability plan with $30MM revenue
• Early adopter of user registration (7MM+ users) and targeted ad delivery
• Worked with all departments to ensure strategic goals were met; Filled in for corporate regional directors; Part of corporate strategic planning team; Led product development for many consumer content and technical initiatives
News & Operations Project Manager | Belo Interactive | Dallas, TX
2001 – 2003
• Managed projects involving all departments at corporate office for 20+ web sites, most #1 or #2 in their local markets
• Led development of web content management and publishing system, converting skeptics into fans
• Conducted usability research, user registration, customer service, advertising and sales, targeted e-mail newsletters, site redesigns, e-commerce, third-party integration and more
Web Site Manager | TXCN.com Texas Cable News | Dallas, TX
2000 – 2001
• Directed launch of web site for Texas Cable News as a news and marketing vehicle
• Coordinated rollout of new tools and designs for all Belo web sites
• Created a web/database application to track discrepancy reports
Newsroom Computer Specialist/Investigative News Producer | KPNX-TV | Phoenix, AZ
1994 – 2000
• Launched station’s first web site, 12News.com
• Hosted a weekly on-air morning show segment about interesting web sites and online travel discounts; also station’s on-air computer expert
• Oversaw newsroom computer system and training for 100+ users
• Produced live newscasts and managed assignment desk and crews
News Producer & Assignment Editor | KCEN-TV | Waco, TX
1993 – 1994
• Managed day-to-day operations for 25-person newsroom and reporters in 3 bureaus; scheduled staff; produced 6pm newscast; ran assignment desk; filled in for news director
News Producer & Assignment Editor | KVUE-TV | Austin, TX
• Produced weekend newscasts and managed assignment desk as a freelancer; field producer at state Capitol bureau
Awards and Honors
Chairman’s Award, Scripps Networks Interactive, 2009
Won for creating a process and organizing teams to improve web site product quality and user experience through real-time reports to alert staff of problems impacting users and advertising customers. Saved thousands of page views and revenue dollars at no incremental cost by finding new ways to use performance data already in-house but buried.
Highest Class GPA and Class Leader, Professional MBA Class of 2007
Elected by peers to represent class and speak at graduation. Inducted into Golden Key National Honour Society and Phi Kappa Phi honor society for academic excellence in the 2006-2007 MBA program at the University of Tennessee.
Belo Interactive Virtuoso, 2003
Inaugural award from company peers for overall excellence.
NATAS Rocky Mountain Regional Emmy winner, Continuing Coverage, 1997
Arizona Associated Press Broadcasters 1st place, Investigative Reporting, 1997 and 1998
Used data-mining skills to produce news stories on convicted criminals doubling as state-licensed security guards and a school superintendent secretly using tax dollars for personal benefit.
Team contributor for many other award-winning news and web projects and sites.
National Merit Scholar
Education & Training
Master of Business Administration | The University of Tennessee at Knoxville | 2006 – 2007
Broad curriculum including market opportunity analysis, process improvement, lean production practices, change management, leadership, finance, branding, marketing, pricing, game theory, presentation, and international business. Conducted in-depth analysis to create business plan to improve customer relationships and grow revenue in non-linear video distribution.
4.0 GPA. Called “the speaker of the year” in professor’s evaluation.
Bachelor of Journalism | The University of Texas at Austin | 1989 – 1993
Concentration in broadcast journalism
Various management training | Scripps Networks and Belo Interactive
Including performance management; ScrumMaster agile project management certification; mentor program; Disruptive Innovation; goal setting; effective presentations; negotiation; and time management.
Computer-Assisted Reporting | Investigative Reporters and Editors/National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting
Importing, cleansing and mining of complex data to find useful information (applicable to many business uses)
Public Speaking, Presentation & Teaching Experience
• Moderator at TV of Tomorrow Spring 2011 conference: “The Emerging Primacy of the App: The ‘Appification’ of TV and its Implications” (video and details at link)
• Lecturer on technology and interactive marketing for regional and national groups including American Marketing Association, University of Tennessee College of Business, Radio-Television News Directors Association, and Investigative Reporters and Editors
• Conducted many training sessions at corporate headquarters field offices for web site staff at Scripps Networks and Belo Interactive with top feedback rating marks
• On-air computer expert with own weekly TV segment on KPNX (NBC), Phoenix, AZ (1998-2000)
• Extensive list available upon request, from AJAX to HTML, SQL and XML. Well-versed in all current social media and mobile platforms. Deep understanding and hands-on experience with all aspects of interactive media technology.